Sunday, November 29, 2009

Office Workspaces

How often to you take time to sit back and look at the space where you spend so many hours of your day? In this particular case I am referring to your office or where ever you do your job hunting. My space has just progressed again!

You see, I have a desk downstairs in the family room, right at the bottom of the stairs. Ugh. But if it is moved anywhere else it takes away from family space and there is little enough of that already. During the years when I worked at home the desk was under the one window that is down here so I could see out under the deck (oh boy!) and I could see this one little bit of sky.

Yesterday I went to the craft store and got 16" of bright red vinal, just like you would think of in an old 50's diner. It is now wrapped around a board and has some holiday lights attached to the back side and is hung up on the wall behind the desk. You see, I'm trying to find some fun brightness down here around my work space, and to have a place to stick things with tape, or just post-it notes.

Above the red piece are 3 pictures. The one closest to the red is a pinkish-red sunset type pictues of palm trees. Stuck on that frame are some glass flamingos that I got in Florida when I was a kid, and a much newer flamingo, and pictures of a couple kids, and prints of my brain (yes, I have proof that I have one thanks to an MRI). Above that are 2 other pictures of nice, calm beach scenes. 2 more flamingos are gracing my book shelves. Those are filled with job search materials and records, college stuff for the kids as well as study books for myself, and with dozens of slide carousels that need to be scanned and saved electronically.

What is the point of all this conversation? You need to make your own work place into something that you don't mind spending time at. My place changes with my moods and I suspect it will continue to change as long as I need it to. In the midst of making it into something that you like, it has to be functional. Almost everything is within reach. And when I need a brain break all I need to do is sit back and look at the scenery above the desk.

Now if I could just figure out how to block the noise from upstairs.... Maybe that will happen when the next mood strikes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment