Sunday, November 8, 2009

Looking at career direction

What a BEAUTIFUL day today is!! You couldn't ask for a better day to rake leaves, and if I have any energy left afterwards, I think a picnic at a state park would be great. Right now I am listening to the dogs playing up on the deck - even they think it's a great day.

I referred to energy a moment ago. As you know, I am job hunting. Everyone says you shouldn't be too broad in what you're looking for, but should target specific companies and/or industries. So I'm trying to figure out what I like and what I'm good at. Here is some of what I know:
  • I am a good project manager. I try to listen to my entire team, and then to work to the success of the project. I think detail is important and am willing to document those details. And I take a personal satisfaction in success of thing that I "own".
  • It would be interesting to learn about all the new "eco" and "green" changes that are coming into Michigan. So how do I take my PM skills and transfer to that? I think my next books will be about this.
  • I know that I would like to find a contact at the incoming Raleigh Michigan Studios in Pontiac, MI. A studio that size will have considerable IT. I know how to manage projects that deal with some of the major IT hardware such as storage solutions, backup/restore, and servers. What I don't know and am having no luck with is finding someone there to talk with about how my skills can be an advantage to them.

So this week, in addition to the networking events that are scheduled, and to learning more about how to really use the different social medias, I think I'll try to learn more about myself, and more about the incoming green industry.

Feel free to let me know what you think about how to proceed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment