Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thoughts of a telecommuter

How do you like that for a title? "Thoughts of a telecommuter". Hmmmm.... Does it make you think? Do you wonder what in the world could possibly be interesting about that?

I moved away from my family almost 3 weeks ago to take a job in Lansing. That is 100 miles from my family. I like the job. It's interesting. I understand the goals while at the same time I'm learning the project. So far it hasn't tipped me over the edge of sanity.

But I am seeing other things. I guess it's normal to go through this process, or at least I hope so! Funny things. Sometimes. It was almost weird to go home to my family last weekend. I spent the day alone while everyone else was at work or at friends. It's a place where we can improve our relationships by figuring out how to make the time we're together have value while not expecting us to all sit home and stare at each other just because I'm there.

I've been in this apartment for almost 2 weeks now. I've discovered that I'm not a fan of having upstairs neighbors who have their TV directly over my bedroom. They're definately not out of line, but I can even hear their footsteps as they cross the floor of their apartment which just happens to be the ceiling of mine. Today I actually decided to move into another apartment, and just as I was getting ready to call the guy to tell him I wanted the apartment he called me to tell me he had just rented it. Doesn't that suck! I do like this apartment - it has character and crooked floors. So why do I want to move?

I need to find things to do in this community. Maybe I'll look up the local Methodist church to see what they have going on during the week. I also thought of finding an old folks home and visiting there. I kind of enjoy talking with those who can't talk back for some reason.

Who else out there is just starting to experience being somewhere new, away from their family? How are you coping? What are you learning? What insight can you give?

No comments:

Post a Comment