Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gratitude is my Attitude

Isn't it amazing how many inspirational things you can read in the paper at this time of year? The title of this post, Gratitude is my Attitude, is the title of an article in the Entertainment & Travel section of today's paper. I saw other thoughts on my daughter's Facebook page. I never knew she could "wax poetic" before.

But back to me. It's interesting to me how I'm changing. Or is it evolving? I'm becoming more aware of the giving and opportunities for those of us who have lost our incomes. I'm starting to understand that while I am good at the job I had, maybe I would also like to consider doing something else that gives back a little something to someone else. That in itself is interesting. I've always liked the "black & white" jobs where it is a defineable task with a specific process which would take you to a known goal. That's definately not a softer skilled job with an entirely different type of goal. It's almost scarey to think of something else. Am I prepared for it, or can I get prepared for it? Maybe I have the right skills but they're surrounded by the technical, IT skills from before. I think that is it.

The other day I spent 4 hours reworking my usual technical/PM resume into a functional format resume to be used to apply for an entirely different type of job. The resume and cover letter were sent to HR at the company, but then I had to figure out how to address the letter - I know the HR person since I sit about 15' from her at my volunteer work. However, it was enlightening to see the parallels that my previous experience has with this opportunity, and to continue to understand that my talents really are transferable.

Another friend called me yesterday to tell me about a possible opportunity that might be opening up in the near future. It would pay a nice salary. The only challenge is that I would need to leave my family to take the job (I won't pull my kids out of high school).

A recruiter has my name in for a job in Michigan. Like the last opportunity, it isn't local to my current home, but it is close enough that I could come home almost every weekend.

Today, Sunday, is my day off from job hunting. Tomorrow I have to get back into it, plus I am scheduled for some training time during the afternoon. Well, I guess it's all good, or at least it isn't all bad. This experience is definately an eye opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment