Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Personal awareness?? WOW!

Today I was thinking. Imagine that…. I was actually thinking about what I have accomplished during the last year, or was I thinking of what I haven’t accomplished? Anyway, it had to do with changing the direction of my career search from the corporate IT world to the non-profit sector. Why would I want to do that? What in the world is making me even contemplate it? Most likely it would mean much lower pay since it is an new direction, and where? Lower pay means it must be local to where I live since we can’t afford to change if the pay is lower.

So, what have I done in the last year? What am I aware of?
- We are eligible for unemployment, extended benefits and emergency benefits. Our parents are helping us financially.
- We are eligible for food stamps.
- We go to the local food bank every month, and additionally for the Christmas dinner makings and for gifts for the kids.
- We have been lucky enough to be RAK’d (Random Act of Kindness) twice in the form of bill payment. On the opposite end, we’ve cut our cable to the minimum as well as cutting snacks, sodas, dinners out…
- I’ve been spending 6-8 hours each week average doing volunteer work at Leader Dogs for the Blind. We’ve been associated with them for 10 years but now I will probably have to stop because I can’t afford the time away from the job search.
- I’m starting up a local career club to help others like me. It’s to be held in one of the conference rooms at my church, and they’re helping me to identify members.

So, what have I learned? What am I more aware of?

Actually, I’m humbled. I’ve never had to accept so much. It is a hard lesson to learn to do that with any grace. Part of the lesson is also to start to understand why it is so important to give, and to understand more about those people who can give gracefully.

I want my next career to have purpose. If I go back to the corporate world, so be it. I will do so with the best of my ability. But I am thinking about how can I go into the non-profit sector and to use my skills there. It would be good to see the benefits of my labors go to the individuals who need them.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment